Friday, May 15, 2009

4 weeks post-op

I can't believe it's been a month since the surgery. It has been quite a journey so far, from barely being able to move the first day at home to doing multiple exercises per day.

The first week post-op I was spending the vast majority of my time on the couch, even working with my laptop. I was barely able to sleep and was running a fever every night. I also developed a rash on my back, which appears to have been a heat rash due to spending so much time on my back. Also had my first physical therapy session and there wasn't much easy about it.

By the second week things were getting better each day. The fever was gone. The rash was finally clearing up (thanks to cortisone cream). Two more trips to therapy and new exercises. Got the staples removed and the surgeon said I appeared to be healing well.

Week three saw much increased activity at therapy and at home. I had moved to just a cane at this point. Most of my walking around the house was without any assistance, but any longer distances still required some help. I was able to ride my bike indoors on a trainer, like a stationary bike, and also work on the elliptical machine. For the first time I started to feel somewhat normal again. Certainly felt good to sweat with a workout!

The therapist turned me loose after my first session in week 4. It was nice to be able to start doing my exercises at home. The improvements continued to get better and better each day. Still stiff and sore after extended periods of sitting or sleeping but even those moments are improving.

So, that brings me to today. I've yet to have a really good night's sleep, but I am at least getting a few hours a night with the remaining hours being fairly restless. It's just still difficult to get comfortable.

The days are pretty darn good. Once I get the day started I don't experience much pain or discomfort. I'm getting in good exercises and try to do a little more each day. Today, for example, my exercises have consisted of leg extensions with ankle weights focusing on the quads and a different move focusing on the hamstring, 20 minutes on the elliptical, walked 2 miles and upper body/core work.

I can't wait to see what the 4 weeks brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment