Sunday, July 12, 2009

50 mile bike ride!

I was signed up for a bike race yesterday - my first. I had done quite a few running races prior to my surgery. I love the adrenaline and the drive to finish with a personal best time. Since running is out of the question I hope cycling can replace those feelings.

I got to the race and found out the 20-mile group only had two other people and it seems like this event was more of a ride than a race. There were also groups for 200K (metric double century), 100-mile, and 50-mile. After some discussion with the race/ride director I decided to connect with another group and just go until I felt I needed to turn around.

Well, I ended up doing a 50 mile ride! The hip did very well. I never had any hip pain at all during the ride. My quads were a different story. They really burned on the hills! I was afraid I would be very sore and stiff after finishing, but other than some general soreness in my both legs there was no problem at all.

This was the first time I've ridden with other people and it is so much better and easier than riding by yourself. The drafting technique really works. I even took my turns pulling the group. Averaged 18 mph for the entire ride, so I was really pleased with that as well.

The morning after I'm not very sore but do have some soreness in the glute around my incision. It's just soreness so I'm not concerned. I'm honestly shocked how well the hip is doing. Prior to the surgery I couldn't even run 40 minutes without my leg being so sore I would have to use my hands to help lift it. What a difference this is now!

I still have to listen to my body as I continue training, but I'm extremely pleased how well it has reacted.

No comments:

Post a Comment